On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Isaac Morland <isaac.morl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 28 March 2018 at 15:43, Joshua D. Drake <j...@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/28/2018 12:35 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
>>
>> I like to call it "Character Separated Values" now for just that reason.
>>

>> Isn't the actual wording Character Delimited Values? I may be picking at
>> hairs here but every single time I use anything to import a CSV or other
>> delimited file (TAB or | usually) that is what the import screen says.
>>

> CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, and not anything else common as far
> as I can tell.

​Language evolves - Wikipedia just hasn't recognized this particular
evolution yet :)

The actual reason I'm posting this is because some of the discussion has
> made me a bit confused: there is already a CSV format defined for the COPY
> command and used by the psql \copy. I just want to check that what is being
> discussed here would use the exact same format as the existing CSV COPY
> format; and the configurability of them should be the exact same options
> (which already includes being able to change the delimiter).

​Nope, the \copy meta-command, and corresponding COPY SQL command, have
additional options that I don't believe will be accessible here.​
Specifically the "OIDS", "QUOTE", and various "FORCE_" options are not
controllable, nor are ESCAPE and ENCODING (this last I think, or at least
not as flexible).

> I think it's important that Postgres not have two CSVs with slightly
> different behaviours. Indeed, psql could use COPY behind the scenes to
> generate the CSV output, which would guarantee no nasty surprises.
>
> If this is already widely accepted or if I'm horribly misunderstanding the
> discussion then I'm sorry for the noise.

​I agree this is a possible approach but the way the thinking is presently
is that this is just another "\pset format" option with forced defaults
excepting the delimiter (DELIMITER),presence of the column names (HEADER)​,
NULL (I think...)

​Issuing \copy with the equivalent settings should result in the same
output...but the two mechanisms are distinct for better and worse.

David J.