On 11/5/21 10:50, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On 2021-Nov-05, Michael Banck wrote:

Well that, and the fact those distinctions are only done for user-
facing events, whereas it seems to me we only distinguish between LOG
and PANIC for server-facing events; maybe we need one or more
additional levels here in order to make it easier for admins to see the
really bad things that are happening?

I think what we need is an orthogonal classification.  "This FATAL here
is routine; that ERROR there denotes a severe problem in the underlying
OS".  Additional levels won't help with that.  Maybe adding the concept
of "severity" or "criticality" to some messages would be useful to
decide what to keep and what to discard.

That would go a long way. I would add a third classification that is "area", indicating if this is for example resource or application logic related. An FK violation is app-logic, running checkpoints too often is a resource problem. Allow the DBA to create some filter based on combinations of them and it should work well enough.

Regards, Jan Wieck