On 23.11.21 18:03, Tom Lane wrote:
0002 is written to apply to v14 and earlier, and what it wants
to do is back-patch the effects of 405f32fc4, so that the
minimum Test::More version is 0.98 in all branches.  The thought
here is that (1) somebody is likely to want to back-patch a
test involving Test::More::subtest before too long; (2) we have
zero coverage for older Test::More versions anyway, now that
all buildfarm members have been updated to work with HEAD.

The backpatching argument is a little off-target, I think. The purpose of subtests is so that wrappers like command_fails_like() count only as one test on the outside, instead of however many checks it runs internally. There is no use in using the subtest feature in a top-level test one might add, say in response to a bugfix. So the only reason this might become relevant is if someone were to backpatch new test infrastructure, which seems rare and in most cases would probably require additional portability and backpatching care. And even then, you still need to adjust the test count at the top of the file individually in each branch, because the total number of tests will probably be different.

In my mind, the subtests feature is useful during new development, where you write a bunch of new tests and want to set the total test count by eyeballing what you just wrote instead of having to run test cycles and react to the complaints. But it won't be useful for patching tests into existing files.

In summary, I would leave it alone.