Stephen, thank you!

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 5:46 AM Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> * SATYANARAYANA NARLAPURAM (satyanarlapu...@gmail.com) wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 25, 2021 at 9:25 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbal...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> that is my

> be
> delays
> > >>

> > > Yet another problem is that if we are in XlogInsert() that means we are
> > > holding the buffer locks on all the pages we have modified, so if we
> add a
> > > hook at that level which can make it wait then we would also block any
> of
> > > the read operations needed to read from those buffers.  I haven't
> thought
> > > what could be better way to do this but this is certainly not good.
> > >

> > Yes, this is a problem. The other approach is adding a hook at
> > XLogWrite/XLogFlush? All the other backends will be waiting behind the
> > WALWriteLock. The process that is performing the write enters into a busy
> > loop with small delays until the criteria are met. Inability to process
> the
> > interrupts inside the critical section is a challenge in both approaches.
> > Any other thoughts?
>
> Why not have this work the exact same way sync replicas do, except that
> it's based off of some byte/time lag for some set of async replicas?
> That is, in RecordTransactionCommit(), perhaps right after the
> SyncRepWaitForLSN() call, or maybe even add this to that function?  Sure
> seems like there's a lot of similarity.

I was thinking of achieving log governance (throttling WAL MB/sec) and also
providing RPO guarantees. In this model, it is hard to throttle WAL
generation of a long running transaction (for example copy/select into).
However, this meets my RPO needs. Are you in support of adding a hook or
the actual change? IMHO, the hook allows more creative options. I can go
ahead and make a patch accordingly.