On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 1:48 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> and have other error
>> information in pg_stat_subscription_workers view.
>

> What benefit is there to keeping the existing collector-based
> pg_stat_subscripiton_workers view?  If we re-write it using shmem IPC then we
> might as well put everything there and forego using a catalog.  Then it
> behaves in a similar manner to pg_stat_activity but for logical replication
> workers.

Yes, but if we use shmem IPC, we need to allocate shared memory for
them based on the number of subscriptions, not logical replication
workers (i.e., max_logical_replication_workers). So we cannot estimate
memory in the beginning. Also, IIUC the number of subscriptions that
are concurrently working is limited by max_replication_slots (see
ReplicationStateCtl) but I think we need to remember the state of
disabled subscriptions too.

Masahiko Sawada
EDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/