On 2/18/22 14:37, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

On 2022-02-18 14:19:49 -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
On 2/17/22 13:08, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Done. Curious how red the BF will turn out to be. Let's hope it's not
> > > too bad.

> > - rhinoceros
> > Joe replied that he is afk, looking into it tomorrow.

I installed python3 packages (initially forgetting the devel package --
d'oh!) and changed build-farm.conf thusly:

8<-------------------
***************
*** 185,190 ****
--- 185,193 ----

        build_env => {

+               # specify python 3
+               PYTHON => 'python3',
+
                # use a dedicated cache for the build farm. this should give
us
                # very high hit rates and slightly faster cache searching.
                #
8<-------------------

That seems to have worked.

But the question is, is that the correct/recommended method?

If python3 is in PATH, then you shouldn't need that part.

Not quite -- python3 is definitely in the PATH:

8<-------------------
$ which python3
/usr/bin/python3
8<-------------------

And I gather that merely installing python3 RPMs on a RHEL-esque 7.X system does not replace the python symlink:

8<-------------------
$ yum whatprovides /usr/bin/python

python-2.7.5-89.el7.x86_64 : An interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language
Repo        : base
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/bin/python

$ ll /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 7 Mar 13  2021 /usr/bin/python -> python2

Joe
--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com