On 27.02.22 10:42, Jille Timmermans wrote:
I wanted to be able to allocate a bunch of numbers from a sequence at once. Multiple people seem to be struggling with this (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/896274/select-multiple-ids-from-a-postgresql-sequence, https://www.depesz.com/2008/03/20/getting-multiple-values-from-sequences/).

I propose to add an extra argument to nextval() that specifies how many numbers you want to allocate (default 1).

What is the use of this?

I note that the stackoverflow question wanted to return multiple sequence values as a result set, whereas your implementation just skips a number of values and returns the last one. At least we should be clear about what we are trying to achieve.