On 02.03.22 15:16, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
I find that a lot of people are still purposely using md5.  Removing it now or in a year would be quite a disruption.

What are the reasons they are still purposely using it? The ones I have seen/heard are:

- Using an older driver
- On a pre-v10 PG
- Unaware of SCRAM

I'm not really sure, but it seems like they are content with what they have and don't want to bother with the new fancy stuff.

What I'm proposing above is to start the process of deprecating it as an auth method, which also allows to continue the education efforts to upgrae. Does that make sense?

I'm not in favor of starting a process that will result in removal of the md5 method at this time.