> On Apr 7, 2018, at 20:27, Craig Ringer <cr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> Right now I think we're at option (4): If you see anything that smells like a
> write error in your kernel logs, hard-kill postgres with -m immediate (do NOT
> let it do a shutdown checkpoint). If it did a checkpoint since the logs, fake
> up a backup label to force redo to start from the last checkpoint before the
> error. Otherwise, it's safe to just let it start up again and do redo again.

Before we spiral down into despair and excessive alcohol consumption, this is
basically the same situation as a checksum failure or some other kind of
uncorrected media-level error.  The bad part is that we have to find out from
the kernel logs rather than from PostgreSQL directly.  But this does not strike
me as otherwise significantly different from, say, an infrequently-accessed
disk block reporting an uncorrectable error when we finally get around to
reading it.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com