Hi,

On 2018-04-09 22:30:00 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Maybe. I'd certainly prefer automated recovery from an temporary I/O
> issues (like full disk on thin-provisioning) without the database
> crashing and restarting. But I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Oh, I agree on that one. But that's more a question of how we force the
kernel's hand on allocating disk space. In most cases the kernel
allocates the disk space immediately, even if delayed allocation is in
effect. For the cases where that's not the case (if there are current
ones, rather than just past bugs), we should be able to make sure that's
not an issue by pre-zeroing the data and/or using fallocate.

Greetings,

Andres Freund