On 11.06.22 05:35, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
Do we even need to store a version for indexes most of the time if
we're versioning ICU itself, as part of the "time travelling
collations" design? For that matter, do we even need to version
collations directly anymore?

Conversely, why are we looking at the ICU version instead of the collation version. If we have recorded the collation as being version 1234, we need to look through the available ICU versions (assuming we can load multiple ones somehow) and pick the one that provides 1234. It doesn't matter whether it's the same ICU version that the collation was originally created with, as long as the collation version stays the same.