On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> Amit Langote wrote:
>> Yeah, I too have wondered in the past what it would take to make
>> equalTupDescs() return true for parent and partitions.  Maybe we can make
>> it work by looking a bit harder than I did then.
>
> How about simply relaxing the tdtypeid test from equalTupleDescs?  I
> haven't looked deeply but I think just checking whether or not both are
> RECORDOID might be sufficient, for typecache purposes.

That strike me as a very scary thing to do.  There's code all over the
system that may have non-obvious assumptions about the behavior of
equalTupleDescs(), and I don't think we can have any confidence that
nothing will break unless we do a detailed audit of all that code.

> If we just remove the tdtypeid test, check-world passes.

That does not reassure me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company