On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 9:20 PM Zhihong Yu <z...@yugabyte.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>         -The bloom filter is pushed down along the execution tree to
>>> the target SeqScan nodes.
>>>         -Experiments show that this optimization can speed up Merge
>>> Join by up to 36%.
>>>
>>> 2. The planner makes the decision to use the bloom filter based on the
>>> estimated filtering rate and the expected performance gain.
>>>         -The planner accomplishes this by estimating four numbers per
>>> variable - the total number of rows of the relation, the number of
>>> distinct values for a given variable, and the minimum and maximum
>>> value of the variable (when applicable). Using these numbers, the
>>> planner estimates a filtering rate of a potential filter.
>>>         -Because actually creating and implementing the filter adds
>>> more operations, there is a minimum threshold of filtering where the
>>> filter would actually be useful. Based on testing, we query to see if
>>> the estimated filtering rate is higher than 35%, and that informs our
>>> decision to use a filter or not.
>>>
>>> 3. If using a bloom filter, the planner also adjusts the expected cost
>>> of Merge Join based on expected performance gain.
>>>
>>> 4. Capability to build the bloom filter in parallel in case of
>>> parallel SeqScan. This is done efficiently by populating a local bloom
>>> filter for each parallel worker and then taking a bitwise OR over all
>>> the local bloom filters to form a shared bloom filter at the end of
>>> the parallel SeqScan.
>>>
>>> 5. The optimization is GUC controlled, with settings of
>>> enable_mergejoin_semijoin_filter and force_mergejoin_semijoin_filter.
>>>
>>> We found in experiments that there is a significant improvement
>>> when using the bloom filter during Merge Join. One experiment involved
>>> joining two large tables while varying the theoretical filtering rate
>>> (TFR) between the two tables, the TFR is defined as the percentage
>>> that the two datasets are disjoint. Both tables in the merge join were
>>> the same size. We tested changing the TFR to see the change in
>>> filtering optimization.
>>>
>>> For example, let’s imagine t0 has 10 million rows, which contain the
>>> numbers 1 through 10 million randomly shuffled. Also, t1 has the
>>> numbers 4 million through 14 million randomly shuffled. Then the TFR
>>> for a join of these two tables is 40%, since 40% of the tables are
>>> disjoint from the other table (1 through 4 million for t0, 10 million
>>> through 14 million for t4).
>>>
>>> Here is the performance test result joining two tables:
>>> TFR: theoretical filtering rate
>>> EFR: estimated filtering rate
>>> AFR: actual filtering rate
>>> HJ: hash join
>>> MJ Default: default merge join
>>> MJ Filter: merge join with bloom filter optimization enabled
>>> MJ Filter Forced: merge join with bloom filter optimization forced
>>>
>>> TFR   EFR   AFR   HJ   MJ Default   MJ Filter   MJ Filter Forced
>>>
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> 10     33.46   7.41    6529   22638        21949            23160
>>> 20     37.27  14.85   6483   22290        21928            21930
>>> 30     41.32   22.25  6395   22374        20718            20794
>>> 40     45.67   29.7    6272   21969        19449            19410
>>> 50     50.41   37.1    6210   21412        18222            18224
>>> 60     55.64   44.51  6052   21108        17060            17018
>>> 70     61.59   51.98  5947   21020        15682            15737
>>> 80     68.64   59.36  5761   20812        14411            14437
>>> 90     77.83   66.86  5701   20585        13171            13200
>>> Table. Execution Time (ms) vs Filtering Rate (%) for Joining Two
>>> Tables of 10M Rows.
>>>
>>> Attached you can find figures of the same performance test and a SQL
>>> script
>>> to reproduce the performance test.
>>>
>>> The first thing to notice is that Hash Join generally is the most
>>> efficient join strategy. This is because Hash Join is better at
>>> dealing with small tables, and our size of 10 million is still small
>>> enough where Hash Join outperforms the other join strategies. Future
>>> experiments can investigate using much larger tables.
>>>
>>> However, comparing just within the different Merge Join variants, we
>>> see that using the bloom filter greatly improves performance.
>>> Intuitively, all of these execution times follow linear paths.
>>> Comparing forced filtering versus default, we can see that the default
>>> Merge Join outperforms Merge Join with filtering at low filter rates,
>>> but after about 20% TFR, the Merge Join with filtering outperforms
>>> default Merge Join. This makes intuitive sense, as there are some
>>> fixed costs associated with building and checking with the bloom
>>> filter. In the worst case, at only 10% TFR, the bloom filter makes
>>> Merge Join less than 5% slower. However, in the best case, at 90% TFR,
>>> the bloom filter improves Merge Join by 36%.
>>>
>>> Based on the results of the above experiments, we came up with a
>>> linear equation for the performance ratio for using the filter
>>> pushdown from the actual filtering rate. Based on the numbers
>>> presented in the figure, this is the equation:
>>>
>>> T_filter / T_no_filter = 1 / (0.83 * estimated filtering rate + 0.863)
>>>
>>> For example, this means that with an estimated filtering rate of 0.4,
>>> the execution time of merge join is estimated to be improved by 16.3%.
>>> Note that the estimated filtering rate is used in the equation, not
>>> the theoretical filtering rate or the actual filtering rate because it
>>> is what we have during planning. In practice the estimated filtering
>>> rate isn’t usually accurate. In fact, the estimated filtering rate can
>>> differ from the theoretical filtering rate by as much as 17% in our
>>> experiments. One way to mitigate the power loss of bloom filter caused
>>> by inaccurate estimated filtering rate is to adaptively turn it off at
>>> execution time, this is yet to be implemented.
>>>
>>> Here is a list of tasks we plan to work on in order to improve this
>>> patch:
>>> 1. More regression testing to guarantee correctness.
>>> 2. More performance testing involving larger tables and complicated
>>> query plans.
>>> 3. Improve the cost model.
>>> 4. Explore runtime tuning such as making the bloom filter checking
>>> adaptive.
> [...]
>>> nodes. However, it would be possible to allow push down to other types
>>> of scan nodes.
>>> 7. Explore if the Bloom filter could be pushed down through a foreign
>>> scan when the foreign server is capable of handling it – which could
>>> be made true for postgres_fdw.
>>> 8. Better explain command on the usage of bloom filters.
>>>
>>> This patch set is prepared by Marcus Ma, Lyu Pan and myself. Feedback
>>> is appreciated.
>>>
>>> With Regards,
>>> Zheng Li
>>> Amazon RDS/Aurora for PostgreSQL
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/c902844d-837f-5f63-ced3-9f7fd222f175%402ndquadrant.com
>>

>> Hi,
>> In the header of patch 1:
>>
>> In this prototype, the cost model is based on an assumption that there is
>> a linear relationship between the performance gain from using a semijoin
>> filter and the estimated filtering rate:
>> % improvement to Merge Join cost = 0.83 * estimated filtering rate -
>> 0.137.
>>
>> How were the coefficients (0.83 and 0.137) determined ?
>> I guess they were based on the results of running certain workload.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> Hi,
> For patch 1:
>
> +bool       enable_mergejoin_semijoin_filter;
> +bool       force_mergejoin_semijoin_filter;
>
> How would (enable_mergejoin_semijoin_filter = off,
> force_mergejoin_semijoin_filter = on) be interpreted ?
> Have you considered using one GUC which has three values: off, enabled,
> forced ?
>
> +       mergeclauses_for_sjf = get_actual_clauses(path->path_mergeclauses);
> +       mergeclauses_for_sjf =
> get_switched_clauses(path->path_mergeclauses,
> +
> path->jpath.outerjoinpath->parent->relids);
>
> mergeclauses_for_sjf is assigned twice and I don't
> see mergeclauses_for_sjf being reference in the call
> to get_switched_clauses().
> Is this intentional ?
>
> +           /* want at least 1000 rows_filtered to avoid any nasty edge
> cases */
> +           if (force_mergejoin_semijoin_filter || (filteringRate >= 0.35
> && rows_filtered > 1000))
>
> The above condition is narrower compared to the enclosing condition.
> Since there is no else block for the second if block, please merge the two
> if statements.
>
> +   int         best_filter_clause;
>
> Normally I would think `clause` is represented by List*. But
> best_filter_clause is an int. Please use another variable name so that
> there is less chance of confusion.
>
> For evaluate_semijoin_filtering_rate():
>
> +   double      best_sj_selectivity = 1.01;
>
> How was 1.01 determined ?
>
> +   debug_sj1("SJPD:  start evaluate_semijoin_filtering_rate");
>
> There are debug statements in the methods.
> It would be better to remove them in the next patch set.

Hi,
Still patch 1.

+       if (!outer_arg_md->is_or_maps_to_base_column
+           && !inner_arg_md->is_or_maps_to_constant)
+       {
+           debug_sj2("SJPD:        outer equijoin arg does not map %s",
+                     "to a base column nor a constant; semijoin is not
valid");

Looks like there is a typo:  inner_arg_md->is_or_maps_to_constant should be
outer_arg_md->is_or_maps_to_constant

+       if (outer_arg_md->est_col_width > MAX_SEMIJOIN_SINGLE_KEY_WIDTH)
+       {
+           debug_sj2("SJPD:        outer equijoin column's width %s",
+                     "was excessive; condition rejected");

How is the value of MAX_SEMIJOIN_SINGLE_KEY_WIDTH determined ?

For verify_valid_pushdown():

+   Assert(path);
+   Assert(target_var_no > 0);
+
+   if (path == NULL)
+   {
+       return false;

I don't understand the first assertion. Does it mean path would always be
non-NULL ? Then the if statement should be dropped.

+               if (path->parent->relid == target_var_no)
+               {
+                   /*
+                    * Found source of target var! We know that the pushdown
+                    * is valid now.
+                    */
+                   return true;
+               return false;

The above can be simplified as: return path->parent->relid == target_var_no;

+ *     True if the given con_exprs, ref_exprs and operators will exactlty

Typo: exactlty -> exactly

+   if (!bms_equal(all_vars, matched_vars))
+       return false;
+   return true;

The above can be simplified as: return bms_equal(all_vars, matched_vars);

Cheers