On 10/1/22 6:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jk...@postgresql.org> writes:
On 10/1/22 3:13 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that we need to revert this code for now.

[RMT hat, but speaking just for me] reading through Tom's analysis, this
seems to be the safest path forward. I have a few questions to better
understand:

1. How invasive would the revert be?

I've just finished constructing a draft full-reversion patch.  I'm not
confident in this yet; in particular, teasing it apart from 1349d2790
("Improve performance of ORDER BY / DISTINCT aggregates") was fairly
messy.  I need to look through the regression test changes and make
sure that none are surprising.  But this is approximately the right
scope if we rip it out entirely.

I plan to have a look tomorrow at the idea of reverting only the cost_sort
changes, and rewriting get_cheapest_group_keys_order() to just sort the
keys by decreasing numgroups estimates as I suggested upthread.  That
might be substantially less messy, because of fewer interactions with
1349d2790.

Maybe this leads to a follow-up question of do we continue to improve what is in HEAD while reverting the code in v15 (particularly if it's easier to do it that way)?

I know we're generally not in favor of that approach, but wanted to ask.

2. Are the other user-visible items that would be impacted?

See above.  (But note that 1349d2790 is HEAD-only, not in v15.)

With the RMT hat, I'm hyperfocused on PG15 stability. We have plenty of time time to stabilize head for v16 :)

3. Is there an option of disabling the feature by default viable?

Not one that usefully addresses my concerns.  The patch did add an
enable_group_by_reordering GUC which we could change to default-off,
but it does nothing about the cost_sort behavioral changes.  I would
be a little inclined to rip out that GUC in either case, because
I doubt that we need it with the more restricted change.

Understood.

I'll wait for your analysis of reverting only the cost_sort changes etc. mentioned above.

Thanks,

Jonathan