Hi Amit,

Thanks for your comments!

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 11:02 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 1:40 PM sirisha chamarthi
> <sirichamarth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A replication slot can be lost when a subscriber is not able to catch up
> with the load on the primary and the WAL to catch up exceeds
> max_slot_wal_keep_size. When this happens, target has to be reseeded
> (pg_dump) from the scratch and this can take longer. I am investigating the
> options to revive a lost slot.
> >

> Why in the first place one has to set max_slot_wal_keep_size if they
> care for WAL more than that?

 Disk full is a typical use where we can't wait until the logical slots to
catch up before truncating the log.

If you have a case where you want to
> handle this case for some particular slot (where you are okay with the
> invalidation of other slots exceeding max_slot_wal_keep_size) then the
> other possibility could be to have a similar variable at the slot
> level but not sure if that is a good idea because you haven't
> presented any such case.

IIUC, ability to fetch WAL from the archive as a fall back mechanism should
automatically take care of all the lost slots. Do you see a need to take
care of a specific slot? If the idea is not to download the wal files in
the pg_wal directory, they can be placed in a slot specific folder
(data/pg_replslot/<slot>/) until they are needed while decoding and can be
removed.