On 10.01.23 18:26, Mark Dilger wrote:
I wonder if logical replication could be made to work more easily with this
feature.  Specifically, subscribers of encrypted columns will need the
encrypted column encryption key (CEK) and the name of the column master key
(CMD) as exists on the publisher, but getting access to that is not automated
as far as I can see. It doesn't come through automatically as part of a
subscription, and publisher's can't publish the pg_catalog tables where the
keys are kept (because publishing system tables is not supported.)  Is it
reasonable to make available the CEK and CMK to subscribers in an automated
fashion, to facilitate setting up logical replication with less manual
distribution of key information?  Is this already done, and I'm just not
recognizing that you've done it?

This would be done as part of DDL replication.

Can we do anything about the attack vector wherein a malicious DBA simply
copies the encrypted datum from one row to another?

We discussed this earlier [0]. This patch is not that feature. We could get there eventually, but it would appear to be an immense amount of additional work. We have to start somewhere.

[0]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4fbcf5540633699fc3d81ffb59cb0ac884673a7c.ca...@vmware.com