06.05.2018 11:20, Andrey Borodin пишет:

>> 5 мая 2018 г., в 13:25, Yura Sokolov <funny.fal...@gmail.com> написал(а):
>>
>> 05.05.2018 09:16, Andrey Borodin пишет:
>>> Hi!

>>> But you loose difference between "touched once" and "actively used".
>>> Log scale of usage solves this: usage count grows logarithmically,
>>> but drains linearly.
>> No, I didn't loose difference. But instead of absolute value (log scale
>> or linear) I count how often in time block is used:
>> - if buffer were touched 1000 times just after placing into
>> shared_buffers should it live 500 times longer than neighbor that were
>> touched only 2 times? or 10 times longer? or 5 times longer?
>> - but what if that "1000 times" buffer were not touched in next period
>> of time, but neighbor were touched again 2 times?
>> All effective algorithms answers: "1000 times" buffer should be evicted
>> first, but its neighbor is a really hot buffer that should be saved for
>> longer period.
> It is hard to tell actually what is right decision here. It is better to
> evict buffer that will not be needed longer, and it is not obvious that is is
> true for buffer that you called hot.
>
> Assume we have buffer A who is touched 1024 times (and then forgotten
> forever) and buffer B which is touched 2 times every clock cycle.
>                       A               B
> Usage count   0x400   0x2
> 1 Eviction time!      0x100   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x100   0x2
> 2 Eviction time!      0x080   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x080   0x2
> 3 Eviction time!      0x020   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x020   0x2
> 4 Eviction time!      0x00A   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x00A   0x2
> 5 Eviction time!      0x004   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x004   0x2
> 6 Eviction time!      0x001   0x0 E
> Usage count   0x001   0x2
> 7 Eviction time!      0x000 E 0x2
> So, buffer used 512 times more survived only 7 stale cycles. Looks fair.

No, it is not fair. In fact, it is worser than with current strategy:
with current GClock it will survive only 5 stale cycles.

And in my approach I told about NBlock/32 periods, so it looks more like
(lets increment be 1):

Period        A             B         C
         touch UseCnt  touch cnt  touch cnt
1/64      512    0      16    0    1     0
2/64      512    0       0    0    1     0
3/64       0     0       0    0    0     0
4/64       0     0       0    0    1     1
5/64       0     0       0    0    1     1
32/64      0     0      16    1    0     1
33/64      0     0      16    1    1     2
34/64      0     0      0     1    1     2
63/64      0     0      0     1    1     3
64/64      0     0      0     1    1     3
Eviction time!
         A evicted      B     1    C     2

So, in my algorithm A will be evicted at first eviction time.
And while B accessed more times, its access distance is much longer than
C, so it has less changes to survive in a future.

>> Log scale doesn't solve this. But increment "once in period" solves.
>> Especially if block is placed first with zero count (instead of 1 as
>> currently).

>>> I do not understand where these numbers come from...
>>
>> I found this number by testing with several artificial traces found in web.
>> I don't claim this number are best. Even on that traces best values may
>> vary on cache size: for small cache size increment and limit tends to be
>> higher, for huge cache - smaller. But this were most balanced.
>>
>> And I don't claim those traces are representative for PostgreSQL, that
>> is why I'm pushing this discussion to collect more real-world PostgreSQL
>> traces and make them public.
>>
>> And I believe my algorithm is not the best. Clock-Pro and ARC shows
>> better results on that traces. Tiny-LFU - cache admission algorithm -
>> may be even more efficient (in term of evictions). But results should be
>> rechecked with PostgreSQL traces.
>>
>> My algorithm will be just least invasive for current code, imho.
>
> Here's the demo patch with logarithmic scale. 2 lines changed.

I've been playing with logarithmic scale in postgresql roughly year ago.
I didn't found any benefits compared to current code. In fact, it looked
to perform worse than current code.
That is why I didn't wrote about that experiment to pgsql-hackers.
But probably I measured in a wrong way. And why I dream to have
real-world traces in hands.

Consider all known to be effective algorithms: 2Q, ARC, Clock-PRO,
CAR, - they all consider buffer "hot" if it has more temporal frequency
in opposite to raw access count. They all mostly ignores spike of usages
during first moments after placement into cache, and moves buffer to hot
if it is accessed at some time after.

With regards,
Sokolov Yura.