On 1/19/23 4:47 AM, Nathan Bossart wrote:
This seems like a clear improvement to me.  However, as the attribute
system becomes more sophisticated, I think we ought to improve the error
messages in user.c.  IMHO messages like "permission denied" could be
greatly improved with some added context.
I observed this behavior where the role is having creatrole but still it's unable to pass it to another user.

postgres=# create role abc1 login createrole;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# create user test1;
CREATE ROLE
postgres=# \c - abc1
You are now connected to database "postgres" as user "abc1".
postgres=> alter role test1 with createrole ;
ERROR:  permission denied
postgres=>

which was working previously without patch.

Is this an expected behavior?

--
regards,tushar
EnterpriseDB  https://www.enterprisedb.com/