On 1/19/23 2:44 AM, Nathan Bossart wrote:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 02:51:38PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
Should (nfree < SuperuserReservedBackends) be using <=, or am I confused?
I believe < is correct.  At this point, the new backend will have already
claimed a proc struct, so if the number of remaining free slots equals the
number of reserved slots, it is okay.

What's the deal with removing "and no new replication connections will
be accepted" from the documentation? Is the existing documentation
just wrong? If so, should we fix that first? And maybe delete
"non-replication" from the error message that says "remaining
connection slots are reserved for non-replication superuser
connections"? It seems like right now the comments say that
replication connections are a completely separate pool of connections,
but the documentation and the error message make it sound otherwise.
If that's true, then one of them is wrong, and I think it's the
docs/error message. Or am I just misreading it?
I think you are right.  This seems to have been missed in ea92368.  I moved
this part to a new patch that should probably be back-patched to v12.

On that note, I wonder if it's worth changing the "sorry, too many clients
already" message to make it clear that max_connections has been reached.
IME some users are confused by this error, and I think it would be less
confusing if it pointed to the parameter that governs the number of
connection slots.  I'll create a new thread for this.

There is  one typo , for the doc changes, it is  mentioned "pg_use_reserved_backends" but i think it supposed to be "pg_use_reserved_connections"
under Table 22.1. Predefined Roles.

--
regards,tushar
EnterpriseDB  https://www.enterprisedb.com/