On 07.02.23 21:10, Nathan Bossart wrote:
        ERROR:  permission denied to use replication slots
        DETAIL:  You must have REPLICATION privilege.

adding the operation to the end seems less awkward (i.e., "You must have
REPLICATION privilege to use replication slots.").  I don't think there's
any information lost by omitting the action in the DETAIL, so perhaps this
is just a stylistic choice.  I think I'm inclined to add the action to the
DETAIL whenever it doesn't make the message lengthy and awkward, and leave
it out otherwise.  Thoughts?
Here is a new patch set with this change and some other light editing.

I'm concerned about the loose use of "privilege" here. A privilege is something I can grant. So if someone doesn't have the "REPLICATION privilege", as in the above example, I would expect to be able to do "GRANT REPLICATION TO someuser". Since that is not what is happening, we should use some other term. The documentation around CREATE USER uses the terms "attribute" and "option" (and also "privilege") for these things.

Similarly -- this is an existing issue but we might as well look at it -- in something like

    must be superuser or a role with privileges of the
    pg_write_server_files role

the phrase "a role with the privileges of that other role" seems ambiguous. Doesn't it really mean you must be a member of that role?

I also feel that in sentences like

    "You must have %s privilege to create roles."

a "the" is missing.