On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 9:18 AM Kirk Wolak <wol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Proposal:  Simply add the %T (PROMPT variable) to output the current time
> (HH24:MI:SS) into the prompt.  This has been in sqlplus since I can
> remember, and I find it really useful when I forgot to time something, or
> to review for Time spent on a problem, or for how old my session is...

This is a great idea, in my opinion. I usually do something involving ts to
track timestamps when executing something non-trivial via psql in
interactive (see below) or non-interactive mode.

But this is a not well-known thing to use (and ts is not installed by
default on Ubuntu, etc.) – having timestamps in prompt would be convenient.

test=> \o | ts
test=> select 1;
test=> Feb 22 09:49:49  ?column?
Feb 22 09:49:49 ----------