On 2023-02-22 We 23:48, Tom Lane wrote:
For my own taste, I really don't have any objection to // in isolation --
the problem with it is just that we've got megabytes of code in the other
style.  I fear it'd look really ugly to have an intermixture of // and /*
comment styles.

Maybe, I've seen some mixing elsewhere and it didn't make me shudder. I agree that you probably wouldn't want to mix both styles for end of line comments in a single function, although a rule like that would be hard to enforce mechanically.

Mass conversion of /* to // style would answer that,
but would also create an impossible back-patching problem.

Yeah, I agree that's a complete non-starter.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan