On 23.03.23 21:16, Jeff Davis wrote:
Another thought: for ICU, do we want the default collation to be
UNICODE (root collation)? What we have now gets the default from the
environment, which is consistent with the libc provider.

But now that we have the UNICODE collation, it makes me wonder if we
should just default to that. The server's environment doesn't
necessarily say much about the locale of the data stored in it or the
locale of the applications accessing it.

As long as we still have to initialize the libc locale fields to some language, I think it would be less confusing to keep the ICU locale on the same language.

If we ever manage to get rid of that, then I would also support making the ICU locale the root collation by default.