On Wed, 3 May 2023 at 18:50, Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> wrote:

> What about "XID allocation overload"? The implication that I'm going
> for here is that the system was misconfigured, or there was otherwise
> some kind of imbalance between XID supply and demand.

Fwiw while "wraparound" has pitfalls I think changing it for a new
word isn't really helpful. Especially if it's a mostly meaningless
word like "overload" or "exhaustion". It suddenly makes every existing
doc hard to find and confusing to read.

I say "exhaustion" or "overload" are meaningless because their meaning
is entirely dependent on context. It's not like memory exhaustion or
i/o overload where it's a finite resource and it's just the sheer
amount in use that matters. One way or another the user needs to
understand that it's two numbers marching through a sequence  and the
distance between them matters.

I feel like "wraparound" while imperfect is not  any worse than any
other word. It still requires context to understand but it's context
that there are many docs online that already explain and are
googleable.

If we wanted a new word it would be "overrun" but like I say, it would
just create a new context dependent technical term that users would
need to find docs that explain and give context. I don't think that
really helps users at all

--
greg