On 01.07.23 00:21, Tomas Vondra wrote:
Right, that's the dance we do to protect against torn pages. But Andres
suggested that if you have modern storage and configure it correctly,
writing with 4kB pages would be atomic. So we wouldn't need to do this
FPI stuff, eliminating pretty significant source of write amplification.

This work in progress for the Linux kernel was also mentioned at PGCon: <https://lwn.net/Articles/933015/>. Subject the various conditions, the kernel would then guarantee atomic writes for blocks larger than the hardware's native size.