On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 12:54 PM Gurjeet Singh <gurj...@singh.im> wrote:

> The approach seems good to me. My concern is with this change's
> potential to cause an extended database outage. Hence sending it out
> as part of v16, without any escape hatch for the DBA, is my objection.

If this is limited to MAINT, which I'm in support of, there is no need for
an "escape hatch".  A prerequisite for leveraging the new feature is that
you fix the code so it conforms to the new way of doing things.

Tom's opinion was a general dislike for differing behavior in different
situations.  I dislike it too, on purist grounds, but would rather do this
than not make any forward progress because we made a poor decision in the
past. And I'm against simply breaking the past without any recourse as what
we did for pg_dump/pg_restore still bothers me.

David J.