> On 04/06/18 09:37, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> > <mailto:hlinn...@iki.fi>>:
> >
> >     On 04/06/18 09:12, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> >
> >         It requires introduction of new "safe" functions (& operators).
> >         Immutable
> >         functions are not enough safe.
> >
> >         CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.fx()
> >           RETURNS integer
> >           LANGUAGE plpgsql
> >           IMMUTABLE
> >         AS $function$
> >         BEGIN
> >            RETURN (SELECT count(*) FROM pg_class);
> >         END;
> >         $function$
> >
> >         postgres=# SELECT fx();
> >         ┌─────┐
> >         │ fx  │
> >         ╞═════╡
> >         │ 343 │
> >         └─────┘
> >         (1 row)
> >

> >     That function is incorrectly marked as IMMUTABLE. In that situation,
> >     it's enough that we throw a sane error like "ERROR: no snapshot
> >     available".
> >
> > Yes, it is incorrect mark. Unfortunately - this is often workaround for
> > wrong estimations - so I afraid, in this case, your proposed fix breaks
> > lot of applications.
>
> I would say such applications are already broken.

I cannot to agree, not in this moment:

1. there is not any workaround, how to force subselect evaluation in
planning time - what can be correct for once only evaluated queries.

2. what is not prohibited, is enabled. I agree so this trick is ugly - but
I got it from Tom if I remember well maybe more than 10 years ago. Now is
too late change it - I think - probably we find more strange features that
we hold due compatibility. But this discussion is offtopic for this thread.
I am thinking so lot of expressions can be significantly accelerated and I
would to check it.

Regards

Pavel