On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 at 05:37, Денис Смирнов <darthu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have inspected the performance of the GROUP BY and DISTINCT queries for the
> sorted data streams and found out, that Group node (produced by GROUP BY)
> works faster then the Unique node (produced by DISTINCT).  The flame graph
> should out the reason - Unique palloc`s tuples for the result slot while the
> Group node doesn’t.
>
> I wonder, why do we use minimal tuples for the Unique node instead of the
> virtual ones? It looks like there is no actual reason for that as Unique
> doesn’t make any materialization.

It would be good to see example queries and a demonstration of the
performance increase. I'm not disputing your claims, but showing some
performance numbers might catch the eye of a reviewer more quickly.

You should also add this to the September commitfest at
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/44/

David