On 9/25/23 11:30, Robert Haas wrote:
I don't believe that people want to run their functions under a
sanitized search_path that only includes system schemas. That might
work for some people, but I think most people will define functions
that call other functions that they themselves defined, or access
tables that they themselves created. They will therefore need the
search_path to include the schemas in which they created those
objects.
Without diving into all the detailed nuances of this discussion, this particular paragraph made me wonder if at least part of the problem here is that the same search_path is used to find "things that I want to execute" (functions and operators) and "things I want to access" (tables, etc).

I think many folks would be well served by only having system schemas in the search_path for the former (augmented by explicit schema qualifying of one's own functions), but agree that almost no one wants that for the latter (needing to schema qualify every table reference).

Should there be a way to have a separate "execution" search_path?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team