On Sun, Oct 1, 2023 at 7:38 AM Andy Atkinson <andyatkin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello. While reading the docs for the enable_partitionwise_aggregate
> parameter on the Query Planning page, I thought the description had a small
> mistake that could be improved.
>
> The current wording is: "which allows grouping or aggregation on a
> partitioned tables performed separately "
>
> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-query.html
>
> I think possible better alternatives could be:
>
> (Option 1) a "partitioned table's partitions" (the possessive form of
> "it's"). The "enable_partition_pruning" parameter uses "the partitioned
> table's partitions" in this form. I think this option is good, but I had a
> slight preference for option 2.
> (Option 2) Or to just cut out the first part and say "to be performed
> separately for each partition", which seemed simpler. So the sentence reads:
> "which allows grouping or aggregation to be performed separately for each
> partition"

I would leave "on a partitioned table". Notice that I have removed "s"
from tables.

> (Option 3) dropping the "a" so it says "which allows grouping or aggregation
> on partitioned tables performed separately". I don't think this is as good
> though because the aggregation happens on the partitions, so it feels
> slightly off to me to say the "partitioned tables" instead of the partitions.

It's technically incorrect as well. Aggregation is performed on a
single relation always - a join or subquery or simple relation. A join
may have multiple tables in it but the aggregation is performed on its
result and not individual tables and hence not on partitions of
individual tables.

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat