On 16.10.23 17:15, David Steele wrote:
I also do wonder with recovery_control is really a better name. Maybe
I just have backup_label too firmly stuck in my head, but is what that
file does really best described as recovery control? I'm not so sure
about that.

The thing it does that describes it as "recovery control" in my view is that it contains the LSN where Postgres must start recovery (plus TLI, backup method, etc.). There is some other informational stuff in there, but the important fields are all about ensuring consistent recovery.

At the end of the day the entire point of backup *is* recovery and users will interact with this file primarily in recovery scenarios.

Maybe "restore" is better than "recovery", since recovery also happens separate from backups, but restoring is something you do with a backup (and there is also restore_command etc.).