On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 7:15 PM David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> > (b) be stored someplace
> > else,
>
> I don't think the additional fields *need* to be stored anywhere at all,
> at least not by us. We can provide them as output from pg_backup_stop()
> and the caller can do as they please. None of those fields are part of
> the restore process.

Not sure which fields we're talking about here. I agree that if
they're not really needed, we can return them and the user can keep
them or discard them as they wish. But in that case you might also ask
why bother even returning them.

> > pg_llbackup -d $CONNTR --backup-label=PATH --tablespace-map=PATH
> > --copy-data-directory=SHELLCOMMAND
> >
> I think in most cases where this would be useful the user should just be
> using pg_basebackup. If the backup is trying to use snapshots, then
> backup_label needs to be stored outside the snapshot and we won't be
> able to easily help.

Right, the idea of the above was that you would specify paths for the
backup label and the tablespace map that were outside of the snapshot
directory in that kind of case. But you couldn't screw up the line
endings or whatever because pg_llbackup would take care of that aspect
of it for you.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com