On 2018-Jun-08, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Actually, the column order doesn't matter for a trigger function,
> because these don't refer to columns by number but by name.  So unless
> users write trigger functions in C and use hardcoded column numbers
> (extremely unlikely), I think this is not an issue.  In other words, in
> the interesting cases the trigger functions are the same for all
> partitions -- therefore upgrading from separate per-partition triggers
> to one master trigger in the partitioned table is not going to be that
> difficult, ISTM.

One last thing.  This wording has been there since pg10; the only thing
that changed is that it now says "BEFORE ROW triggers" instead of "Row
triggers".  I don't think leaving it there one more year is going to get
us too much grief, TBH.

I'm going to leave this as an open item for one or two more weeks and
see if there's more support for Ashutosh's PoV; but if not, my proposal
is to close it without changing anything further.