On 08.11.23 13:55, Christoph Berg wrote:
Re: Peter Eisentraut
If the problem is broken doc patches, then maybe a solution is to
include the `xmllint --noout --valid` target in whatever the check-world
equivalent is for meson.  Looking at doc/src/sgml/meson.build, we don't
seem to do that anywhere.  Doing the no-output lint run is very fast
(375ms real time in my machine, whereas "make html" takes 27s).

This would be a start, but it wouldn't cover everything.  Lately, we require
id attributes on certain elements, which is checked on the XSLT level.

I'd think there should be a catchy "make check-world"-equivalent that
does run all reasonable check that we can tell people to run by
default. Then if that takes too long, we could still offer
alternatives that exclude some areas. If it's the other way round,
some areas will never be checked widely.

I think we could build doc/src/sgml/postgres-full.xml by default. That takes less than 0.5 seconds here and it's an intermediate target for html and man.