On 15.11.23 21:29, Tom Lane wrote:
Daniel Gustafsson <dan...@yesql.se> writes:
Since the 3DES/DES deprecations aren't limited to FIPS, do we want to do
anything for pgcrypto where we have DES/3DES encryption?  Maybe a doc patch
which mentions the deprecation with a link to the SP could be in order?

A docs patch that marks both MD5 and 3DES as deprecated is probably
appropriate, but it seems like a matter for a separate thread and patch.

In the meantime, I've done a pass of review of Peter's v4 patches.
v4-0001 is already committed, so that's not considered here.

v4-0002: I think it is worth splitting up contrib/pgcrypto's
pgp-encrypt test, which has only one test case whose output changes,
and a bunch of others that don't.  v5-0002, attached, does it
like that.  It's otherwise the same as v4.

(It might be worth doing something similar for uuid_ossp's test,
but I have not bothered here.  That test script is stable enough
that I'm not too worried about future maintenance.)

The attached 0003, 0004, 0005 patches are identical to Peter's.
I think that it is possibly worth modifying the password test so that
we don't fail to create the roles, so as to reduce the delta between
password.out and password_1.out (and thereby ease future maintenance
of those files).  However you might disagree, so I split my proposal
out as a separate patch v5-0007-password-test-delta.patch; you can
drop that from the set if you don't like it.

v5-0006-allow-for-disabled-3DES.patch adds the necessary expected
file to make that pass on my Fedora 38 system.

With or without 0007, as you choose, I think it's committable.

All done, thanks.