On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:58 AM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan <p...@bowt.ie> writes:
> > I suppose that amcanorder=true cannot mean that, since we have the
> > SAOP path key thing (at least for now).
>
> As things stand, amcanorder definitely means that the index always
> returns ordered data, since the planner will unconditionally apply
> pathkeys to the indexscan Paths generated for it (see plancat.c's
> get_relation_info which sets up info->sortopfamily, and
> build_index_pathkeys which uses that).  We could reconsider that
> definition if there were a reason to, but so far it hasn't seemed
> interesting.  The hack in 807a40c5 is a hack, without a doubt, but
> that doesn't necessarily mean we should spend time on generalizing it,
> and even less that we should have done so in 2012.

That is certainly my preferred interpretation. Not least because I am
in the process of removing the hack completely, which has shown very
significant benefits for queries with SAOPs that now get to depend on
the sort order in some crucial way.

> Maybe by now there
> are non-core index AMs that have cases where it's worth being pickier.
> We'd have to invent some API that allows the index AM to have a say in
> what pathkeys get applied.

Matthias and I recently discussed a design sketched by James Coleman
some years back, which Matthias seemed particularly interested in:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAAaqYe-SsHgXKXPpjn7WCTUnB_RQSxXjpSaJd32aA%3DRquv0AgQ%40mail.gmail.com

James' test case benefits from my own patch in the obvious way: it can
use SAOP index quals, while still being able to get an ordered scan
that terminates early via a LIMIT.  But the design he sketched
proposes to go much further than that -- it's far more targeted. His
design reconstructs a useful sort order by "multiplexing" different
parts of the index (for different SAOP constants), merging together
multiple streams of ordered tuples into one stream. This means that
the index produces tuples in a useful order, sufficient to terminate
the scan early -- but it's a sort order that doesn't match the index
at all. Obviously, that's a totally novel idea.

It's possible that something like that might just make sense -- it's
theoretically optimal, at least. My guess is that if it really did
happen then the planner would treat it like the special case that it
is. It very much reminds me of loose index scan, where the index AM
API has to be revised so that high level semantic information can be
pushed down into the index AM.

If something like that can offer stellar performance, that just isn't
achievable in any other way, then I guess it's worth accepting the
cost of an uglified index AM API. Whether or not such a feature really
can be that compelling likely depends on a myriad of factors that we
cannot possibly anticipate ahead of time. There are just too many
things in this general area that *might* make sense someday.

As we discussed back in 2022, I think that MDAM style "skip scan"
(meaning support for skipping around an index given a query with
"missing key predicates") shouldn't be a special case in the planner
-- only costing needs to know anything about skipping. In general I
find that it's most useful to classify all of these techniques
according to whether or not they are compatible with the orthodox
definition of amcanorder that you described. In other words, to
classify them based on whether they involve pushing down high level
semantic information to the index AM.

--
Peter Geoghegan