At Tue, 5 Dec 2023 08:26:54 +1300, Thomas Munro <thomas.mu...@gmail.com> wrote
in
> On second thoughts, I guess it would make more sense to use the exact
> messages Windows' own implementation would return instead of whatever
> we had in the past (probably cribbed from some other OS or just made
> up?).  I asked CI to spit those out[1].  Updated patch attached.  Will
> add to CF.
>
> [1] https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5816802207334400?logs=main#L15

Windows' gai_strerror outputs messages that correspond to the language
environment. Similarly, I think that the messages that the messages
returned by our version should be translatable.

These messages may add extra line-end periods to the parent (or
cotaining) messages when appended. This looks as follows.

(auth.c:517 : errdetail_log() : sub (detail) message)
> Could not translate client host name "hoge" to IP address: An address
> incompatible with the requested protocol was used..

(hba.c:1562 : errmsg() : main message)
> invalid IP address "192.0.2.1": This is usually a temporary error during
> hostname resolution and means that the local server did not receive a
> response from an authoritative server.

When I first saw the first version, I thought it would be better to
use Windows' own messages, just like you did. However, considering the
content of the message above, wouldn't it be better to adhere to
Linux-style messages overall?

A slightly subtler point is that the second example seems to have a
misalignment between the descriptions before and after the colon, but
do you think it's not something to be concerned about to this extent?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center