On 11.12.23 00:07, Peter Smith wrote:
If the rule is changed to quote those MixedCase GUCs then the docs
will require minor tweaking

CURRENT
    <para>
     In messages containing configuration variable names, do not include quotes
     when the names are visibly not natural English words, such as when they
     have underscores, are all-uppercase or have mixed case. Otherwise, quotes
     must be added. Do include quotes in a message where an arbitrary variable
     name is to be expanded.
    </para>

"are all-uppercase or have mixed case." --> "or are all-uppercase."

After these discussions, I think this rule change was not a good idea. It effectively enforces these kinds of inconsistencies. For example, if you ever refactored

    "DateStyle is wrong"

    "%s is wrong"

you'd need to adjust the quotes, and thus user-visible behavior, for entirely internal reasons. This is not good. And then came the idea to determine the quoting dynamically, which I think everyone agreed was too much. So I don't see a way to make this work well.