On Mon Dec 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM CST, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 13:42, Daniel Gustafsson <dan...@yesql.se> wrote:
> I think this is pretty much ready to go, the attached v4 squashes the changes
> and fixes the man-page which also needed an update.  The referenced Wiki page
> will need an edit or two after this goes in, but that's easy enough.

One thing I'm wondering: When both --check and --diff are passed,
should pgindent still early exit with 2 on the first incorrectly
formatted file? Or should it show diffs for all failing files? I'm
leaning towards the latter making more sense.

Makes sense. Let me iterate on the squashed version of the patch.

Related (but not required for this patch): For my pre-commit hook I
would very much like it if there was an option to have pgindent write
the changes to disk, but still exit non-zero, e.g. a --write flag that
could be combined with --check just like --diff and --check can be
combined with this patch. Currently my pre-commit hook need two
separate calls to pgindent to both abort the commit and write the
required changes to disk.

I could propose something. It would help if I had an example of such a tool that already exists.

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)