vignesh C wrote:

> Thanks for the updated patch, any reason why this is handled only in csv.
> postgres=# copy test1 from '/home/vignesh/postgres/inst/bin/copy1.out';
> COPY 1
> postgres=# select * from test1;
>  c1
> -------
> line1
> (1 row)

I believe it's safer to not change anything to the normal "non-csv"
text mode.
The current doc says that \. will not be taken as data in this format.
From https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-copy.html :

   Any other backslashed character that is not mentioned in the above
   table will be taken to represent itself. However, beware of adding
   backslashes unnecessarily, since that might accidentally produce a
   string matching the end-of-data marker (\.) or the null string (\N
   by default). These strings will be recognized before any other
   backslash processing is done.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité