On 06/18/2018 05:46 PM, Jaime Casanova wrote:
On 18 June 2018 at 16:36, Andrew Dunstan <andrew.duns...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
This is a MySQL feature, where an index is not considered by the planner.
Implementing it should be fairly straightforward, adding a new boolean to
pg_index, and options to CREATE INDEX and ALTER INDEX. I guess VISIBLE would
become a new unreserved keyword.

The most obvious use case is to see what the planner does when the index is
not visible, for example which other index(es) it might use. There are
probably other cases where we might want an index to enforce a constraint
but not to be used in query planning.

So, do we want this feature? If we do I'll go ahead and prepare a patch.

should pg_index.indisvalid works for this? in that case you only need
the syntax for it...

I thought about that. But I think these are more or less orthogonal.  I doubt it will involve lots of extra code, though.

cheers

andrew