On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 11:41 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org>
wrote:

> On 2024-Feb-27, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Here's the complete set, with these two names using the singular.
>
> BTW one thing I had not noticed is that before this patch we have
> minimum shmem size that's lower than the lowest you can go with the new
> code.
>
> This means Postgres may no longer start when extremely tight memory
> restrictions (and of course use more memory even when idle or with small
> databases).  I wonder to what extent should we make an effort to relax
> that.  For small, largely inactive servers, this is just memory we use
> for no good reason.  However, anything we do here will impact
> performance on the high end, because as Andrey says this will add
> calculations and jumps where there are none today.

I was just comparing the minimum memory required for SLRU when the system
is minimally configured, correct me if I am wrong.

SLRU                                            unpatched
patched
commit_timestamp_buffers          4                           16
subtransaction_buffers                 32                         16
transaction_buffers                       4                           16
multixact_offset_buffers                8                           16
multixact_member_buffers           16                          16
notify_buffers                                 8
 16
serializable_buffers                       16                          16
total buffers                                 88
112

so that is < 200kB of extra memory on a minimally configured system, IMHO
this should not matter.

Dilip Kumar