On Tue, 12 Mar 2024, 23:45 Anthonin Bonnefoy, <
anthonin.bonne...@datadoghq.com> wrote:

> > - I don't think it's a good idea to do memory allocations in the middle
> of a
> > PG_CATCH. If the error was due to out-of-memory, you'll throw another
> error.
> Good point. I was wondering what were the risks of generating spans
> for errors. I will try to find a better way to handle this.

The usual approach is to have pre-allocated memory. This must actually be
written (zeroed usually) or it might be lazily allocated only on page
fault. And it can't be copy on write memory allocated once in postmaster
startup then inherited by fork.

That imposes an overhead for every single postgres backend. So maybe
there's a better solution.