Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 4:04 PM Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not really a fan of this. Right now my prompt looks like this:
>> robert.haas=#
>> If we did this, it would say:
>> robert.h...@robert.haas=#

There would be similar duplication for, eg, the postgres user
connected to the postgres database.  However, I'm more worried
about the case where they don't match, because then the %~
suggestion doesn't help shorten it.

> Of course, people can put this in their .psqlrc, and I do. The suggestion
> came about because I had a couple of instances where people using the
> default prompt showed me stuff and the problem arose from confusion about
> which user they were connected as.

On the whole, I think we'd get more complaints about the default
prompt having more-or-less doubled in length than we'd get kudos
about this being a great usability improvement.  Prompt space is
expensive and precious, at least for people who aren't in the
habit of working in very wide windows.

                        regards, tom lane