Em sáb., 6 de abr. de 2024 às 22:39, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de>
escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> On 2024-04-07 00:45:31 +0200, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 at 22:21, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > > The small regression for small results is still kinda visible, I
> haven't yet
> > > tested the patch downthread.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the faster test script, I'm also impatient. I still
> > saw the small regression with David his patch. Here's a v6 where I
> > think it is now gone. I added inline to internal_put_bytes too. I
> > think that helped especially because for two calls to
> > internal_put_bytes len is a constant (1 and 4) that is smaller than
> > PqSendBufferSize. So for those calls the compiler can now statically
> > eliminate the new codepath because "len >= PqSendBufferSize" is known
> > to be false at compile time.
>
> Nice.
>

> > Also I incorporated all of Ranier his comments.
>
> Changing the global vars to size_t seems mildly bogus to me. All it's
> achieving is to use slightly more memory. It also just seems unrelated to
> the
> change.

I don't agree with this thought.
Actually size_t uses 4 bytes of memory than int, right.
But mixing up int and size_t is a sure way to write non-portable code.
And the compilers will start showing messages such as " signed/unsigned
mismatch".

The global vars PqSendPointer and PqSendStart were changed in the v5 patch,
so for the sake of style and consistency, I understand that it is better
not to mix the types.

The compiler will promote PqSendBufferSize to size_t in all comparisons.

And finally the correct type to deal with char * variables is size_t.

Best regards,
Ranier Vilela