On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 10:02, Peter Eisentraut <pe...@eisentraut.org> wrote:
> I have tested this with various compilers, and I can confirm that this
> shaves off about 5 seconds from the build wall-clock time, which
> represents about 10%-20% of the total time.  I think this is a good patch.

Great to hear.

> Interestingly, if I apply the analogous changes to the makefiles, I
> don't get any significant improvements.  (Depends on local
> circumstances, of course.)  But I would still suggest to keep the
> makefiles aligned.

Attached is a patch that also updates the Makefiles, but indeed I
don't get any perf gains there either.

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 07:23, Michael Paquier <mich...@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> Well, this is also painful with ./configure.  So, even if we are going
> to move away from it at this point, we still need to support it for a
> couple of years.  It looks to me that letting the clang folks know
> about the situation is the best way forward.

I reported the issue to the clang folks:
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/87973

But even if my patch doesn't help for ./configure, it still seems like
a good idea to me to still reduce compile times when using meson while
we wait for clang folks to address the issue.