On 4/8/24 11:05, Tom Lane wrote:
Pavel Borisov <pashkin.e...@gmail.com> writes:
IMO the fact that people struggle to work on patches, and make them better,
etc. is an immense blessing for the Postgres community. Is the peak of
commits really a big problem provided we have 6 months before actual
release? I doubt March patches tend to be worse than the November ones.

Yes, it's a problem, and yes the average quality of last-minute
patches is visibly worse than that of patches committed in a less
hasty fashion.  We have been through this every year for the last
couple decades, seems like, and we keep re-learning that lesson
the hard way.  I'm just distressed at our utter failure to learn
from experience.

I don't dispute that we could do better, and this is just a simplistic look based on "number of commits per day", but the attached does put it in perspective to some extent.

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team