On 06/29/2018 03:25 AM, David Rowley wrote:
I've attached a patch that uses SearchSysCacheAttName to speed up
these translations in the planner.

Good idea. On my desktop, this gives 270 tps dropped vs 610 tps plain (for updates). If you combine it with persistent inner loop index, it's probably going to be even faster, because it will only require one catalog access for each index shift. Now it looks like it goes to catalog for every column after the dropped one.

What about convert_tuples_by_name_map, do you plan to switch it to catalog lookups as well?

--
Alexander Kuzmenkov
The Russian Postgres Company