On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 1:35 PM Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, in my last response before the thread died, I complained that
> libpq_compression=gzip:compress=off was confusing, and I stand by
> that, because "compress" is used both in the name of the parameter and
> as an option within the value of that parameter. I think there's more
> than one acceptable way to resolve that problem, but I think leaving
> it like that is unacceptable.

What if we went with:
Server side:
* `libpq_compression=on` (I just want everything the server supports
available; probably the most common case)
* `libpq_compression=off` (I don't want any compression ever with this server)
* `libpq_compression=lzma;gzip` (I only want these algorithms for
whatever reason)
* `libpq_compression=lzma:client_to_server=off;gzip:server_to_client=off`
(I only want to send data with lzma and receive data with gzip)
Client side:
*`compression=on` (I just want compression; pick sane defaults
automatically for me; probably the most common case)
* `compression=off` (I don't want any compression)
* `compression=lzma;gzip` (I only want these algorithms for whatever reason)
* `compression=lzma:client_to_server=off;gzip:server_to_client=off` (I
only want to receive data with lzma and send data with gzip)

`client_to_server`/`server_to_client` is a bit verbose, but it's very
explicit in what it means, so you don't need to reason about who is
sending/receiving/etc in a given context, and a given config string
applied to the server or the client side has the same effect on the
connection.

> Even more broadly, I think there have been a couple of versions of
> this patch now where I read the documentation and couldn't understand
> how the feature was supposed to work, and I'm not really willing to
> spend time trying to review a complex patch for conformity with a
> design that I can't understand in the first place. I don't want to
> pretend like I'm the smartest person on this mailing list, and in fact
> I know that I'm definitely not, but I think I'm smart enough and
> experienced enough with PostgreSQL that if I look at the description
> of a parameter and say "I don't understand how the heck this is
> supposed to work", probably a lot of users are going to have the same
> reaction. That lack of understanding on my part my come either from
> the explanation of the parameter not being as good as it needs to be,
> or from the design itself not being as good as it needs to be, or from
> some combination of the two, but whichever is the case, IMHO you or
> somebody else has got to figure out how to fix it.

If the above proposal seems better to you I'll both rework the patch
and then also try to rewrite the relevant bits of documentation to
separate out "what knobs are there" and "how do I specify the flags to
turn the knobs", because I think those two being integrated is making
the parameter documentation less readable/followable.

--
Jacob Burroughs | Staff Software Engineer
E: jburrou...@instructure.com