On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 12:14 PM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johns...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those likely never get out of the new WIP slot discussed above.  Your patch
> tracker basically.  And there should be less angst in moving something in the
> bimonthly into WIP rather than dropping it outright.  There is discussion to
> be had regarding WIP/patch tracking should we go this direction but even if
> it is just movIng clutter from one room to another there seems like a clear
> benefit

Yeah, IMO we're unlikely to get around the fact that it's a patch
tracker -- even if patch trackers inherently tend to suck, as Robert
put it, they tend to have lots of value too. May as well embrace the
need for a tracker and make it more helpful.

> We'll still have a problem with too many WIP patches and not enough ability
> or desire to resolve them.  But setting a higher bar to get onto the
> bimonthly slot while still providing a place for collaboration is a step
> forward that configuring technology can help with.

+1. I think _any_ way to better communicate "what the author needs
right now" would help a lot.

> As for WIP, maybe adding thumbs-up and thumbs-down support tracking widgets
> will help draw attention to more desired things.

Personally I'd like a way to gauge general interest without
introducing a voting system. "Stars", if you will, rather than
"thumbs". In the context of the CF, it's valuable to me as an author
that you care about what I'm trying to do; if you don't like my
implementation, that's what reviews on the list are for. And I see no
way that the meaning of a thumbs-down button wouldn't degrade
immediately.

I have noticed that past proposals for incremental changes to the CF
app (mine and others') are met with a sort of resigned inertia --
sometimes disagreement, but more often "meh, sounds all right, maybe".
Maybe my suggestions are just meh, and that's fine. But if we can't
tweak small things as we go -- and be generally okay with trying and
reverting failed experiments sometimes -- frustrations are likely to
pile up until someone writes another biyearly manifesto thread.

--Jacob